Friday, February 15, 2008

love-hate relationship

Kumu-quota na naman ako sa aking blogs. Can't sleep na naman. So let me tell you about my secret affair.


I have a special relationship with Sommeil. Actually, it's a love-hate relationship. I love Sommeil so much that it can get addictive. Just like anything that's addictive, most of the time it's difficult. I know Sommeil is what's best for me, but I just can't conform to the conventions of relationships of this kind. The mind wants, but the body is not willing...or sometimes, it's the other way around--the body wants, but the mind is not willing. The evenings are the worst because I know I need to go to Sommeil, but I can't bring myself to do it... and in the mornings, it's so difficult to get away from Sommeil.


And it's been like this as far as I can remember. From the summers of my teenage years until now that I'm married. I just can't change this bad habit. It doesn't help that I have a lot of friends who are having their own secret affairs with the Sommeil's of their lives.


And (if I remember correctly) the word sommeil refers to sleep or sleeping in French.


And yes, I am talking about my love-hate relationship with sleeping.


Tell me, why do we have to sleep? Why did God create us to be creatures who need sleep to enable us to refresh? Can't we just refresh our minds and our bodies by winking our eyes?


In one of those numerous sleepless nights where I have no more books to read, no more interesting sites to browse (and sometimes no "love to make" *wink*) , I tried to compute how many times an average human (meaning hindi kirat or sabog) makes. I came up with 17,280 winks a day... (hmm, if I tell Tutuy about this, he will surely doubt my computation and, in his usual Ernie-Baron-Knowledge-Power tone of voice, proceed to correct my computation). Now why can't this 17,280 winks be equivalent to the amount of sleep that we need in a day.


I better crawl into Sommeil's arms now, before any other lame ideas get into my head...


-*-*-


" ...the innocent sleep--Sleep that knits up the ravell'd sleeve of care, the death of each day's life, sore labour's bath, balm of hurt minds, great Nature's second course, chief nourisher in life's feast..."


-Macbeth, Act 2, Scene 2


 


No comments: