Saturday, May 23, 2009

from his goodbye girl

“Sometimes, we need to be apart to see the wonderful things we have together”

--

The longest time that we were apart was nine months. When we finally got together and started living under one roof, we told each other: We will never be apart. Where one goes, the other goes. For whatever reason it may be. When we need to travel, we travel together.

A week after we said that, I had to leave him for a two-week business trip to East Malaysia.

Huh! Such sweet words that only newly-married couples can utter. When reality bites, you learn that there are some things that you have to do alone, that there are times when you need to be away from your partner.

It’s no big deal for most people, I guess. What’s one- or two weeks’ away from each other, right? Some would even see each other every two years.

This past week that he was away, I felt that there was nothing to look forward to everyday because I know I wouldn’t see him when I wake up nor would I see him after work. And at 29 years old, it is actually a new feeling for me. Yes, I’ve been into other serious relationships before I got married, but I was NEVER dependent on a man. I am happy with or without them. It was like my own personal adage: “Never put your happiness in the hands of one person. You have to learn to be happy on your own, before you can be happy with someone.”

Not that I am miserable without him. Okay, I do feel miserable without him. I didn’t know I was actually capable of missing someone this much. And we’ve been friends, best friends, lovers, etc for more than a decade!

So this week, and probably for the rest of my life, I specifically thanked God for this chapter in our life in which we are away from our old friends and family. I don’t think we would be as close and bonded as we are now if not for our situation. Like other loving couples, we become each other’s strength, our problems make us stronger (or for other couples, break ‘em up), we learn each other’s importance at once, we see each other’s bad side but the acceptance is always there (albeit the arguments and interrogations). The difference, I guess, is that those things are more magnified.

I believe this is yet again another confirmation that I married the one I truly, madly, deeply love. And that the one I married truly, madly, deeply loves me too. I just know. Because despite all my mood swings, long-term PMSing and other neurotic tendencies, illogical demands, radical views and some other unpleasant changes in me, he still makes me feel like a 15-year old girl, experiencing love for the first time. No partner is perfect, but if we’re blessed, we find the perfect partner for us.

A week or two before he left, I got mad at him. I was so mad at him that I thought, upon waking up one morning, I couldn’t feel the magic anymore. You see, although I am crazy when it comes to love, I do not wear rose-colored glasses in my relationship. I love deeply but I have no ambitions to become martyr. In as much as I shout to the world that I love someone, I also shout it out to the world when I am hurt.

For me, magic comes and goes. It’s just up to us to bring it back when troubles & hurt steal it away from us. And as for me and my one great love, the magic is definitely back.

2 comments:

Jans said...

waaaaah!! grabe see, gets na gets kita! ehehe!! 1 yr din kaming long distance ni h2b, and when I got here, I sort of hoped never na lit yun.. but this June, 1 mo sya sa US!:( haaaaay.. I love this entry of yours!:)

tapos away-bati rin kami ni h2b, but at the end of the day, we'd still rather be together than apart..:)

btw sis, I have a tag for you here!:)

Michelle said...

Hi Jans!

Omg, 1 yr kayong Long Distance Relationship ni Tonyo! Ang hirap nun. Kahit pa sabihin nilang bec of technology, the world becomes a smaller place e, mahirap pa rin talaga pag malayo. But the best part is, you're together na uli :) except for those times na one has to leave for awhile :)