Saturday, June 21, 2008

the dangers of working late

This is why you should never work late...hahaha!




This video spread throughout Singapore a few months ago and everyone thought it was real. Some couldn't even take the lift alone. They say this was taken in one of the buildings in Raffles area. Unlike other scary videos, this one didn't even get any reaction from me. That's saying a lot because I get scared so easily. I thought it looked fake.


And I was right. This video is just a hoax. It's just an advertising campaign for a certain HR firm.


According to Snopes, it is just a promotional stunt done by the Singapore branch of McCann Worldgroup advertising agency in behalf of the GMP Group, a business recruitment and staffing firm with offices throughout Asia. If you're one of those Pinoys on a job-hunt here, you've probably heard about GMP, right?


This is a perfect example of how a big ruckus can come out from just a small-budgeted ad. How I'd love to share this with Paul, my chummy from the "ahensya", who once told me: You're in the wrong industry, Chie. You should work in advertising.


So anyway, Josh Goh of GMP appeared on another online video, to explain the purpose behind the Raffles Place Ghost video. So in the end, it all boils down to marketing. He says, at GMP, "We want to highlight the dangers of working late. Stress, fatigue, ill health...and if you're really, really unlucky, you might see a ghost." Here's GMP's video:





Ay naku, basta ko graduate na ko sa ganyang ka-OA mag OT. I still remember those times I got locked inside RobPlace because I finished work at 3am! I didn't know how to go out and I couldn't find any security! I was holding my boxes and bag and running like a mad woman! Movie-mode na nman ako that time! Genre: Horror. Hehe.


That's one of the reasons why I like working the public sector. The Singapore Government is a firm advocate of work-life balance. I know for a fact that if you work in Singapore's private sector, naku, doing overtime and bringing home work is sooo common. I hope I do not have to undergo the same thing again. Die, already, die!

No comments: