Monday, June 16, 2008

day off

We've finally moved to our new place in Holland Village! I have yet to share this year's moving out episode, but I'll leave that for next time. We moved out Friday night and by the looks of it, it will take us another month to finish unpacking...


Good thing I was able to take 2 days leave plus my weekend off, of course.


I'm so thankful for my weekend off. I get to do a lot of things and hangout with my hubby.


I used to have my off on weekdays and it was such a bummer because the rest of the population is at work. But now, I get to have fun on weekends.


Just imagine NOT having a rest day/off (or off-day, in singlish)! Even though you'll probably earn extra income, it is still not a healthy practice. I remember when I was still teaching, I volunteered (crazy crazy me) to help out with the classes because we were under-staffed that time. So for two months, I didn't have a rest day! My god! It drove me to the wall!!!


That's why my heart goes out to some of our kababayans here working as domestic helpers who don't even have a day off. Having one day off a month is a requirement that their employers must give them. But some do not even take this in exchange for higher pay. Which is actually not worth it because the difference is something like $30 only. But for our kababayans, this is a lot of money already. Extra money that they can send to their families back in the Philippines.


Right now, having a compulsary day off for them is not yet included in Singapore's legislation. There is an ongoing advocacy right now to push for it, but before they can push for this change, this campaign must get a strong public support first.


Help show our concern to our kababayans. All you need to do is click here and add your name and e-mail address to show that you support this campaign. I hope you can browse through it to know more about this campaign. With these baby steps, we will soon take that giant leap to let this country know that these people should also be treated the same way as every other foreign employee.


Once again, here's the site: http://www.dayoff.org.sg/index.shtml

1 comment:

Random Thoughts said...

hi chie..

Can you text me your complete address? I am sending something for you thru Tony e.

will wait for it ha...

Miss you!