Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Cereal Chicken Cutlet

There's this nasi padang stall that I frequent to during lunchtime. Nasi padang, if translated literally, means "rice field"-- rice (nasi) field (padang). But in local lingo, it refers to a food stall. A nasi padang food stall is like a Malay version of a Pinoy's turo-turo. Different dishes are in front of you and you literally point out which ones you like to have on your plate.

One of my favorites there is their chicken cutlet. It's crispy and more chewy and a bit sweet. I've always wondered where this sweet taste came from. It couldn't be sugar, because it's not "sugary sweet". It's more like "milky or creamy sweet". Then I thought maybe they derived it from the recipe of Cereal Prawn. So I thought, maybe, instead of the usual bread crumbs as breading to cover the meat, they actually used oatmeal or cereal.

And I think I was right. I was surfing Kubiertos' site and I found this recipe. I will try it this weekend and hopefully, it will taste like that nasi padang's chicken cutlet.


Ingredients:

1/2 kilo chicken breast fillets (or you can use thigh fillets)
1 pack of Kelloggs frosted cornflakes (I'm planning to use cereals)
1 cup of milk1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper

Procedure:

Cut the fillets into 1 and a half inch pieces. Rub some salt and pepper for seasoning. Combine the egg with the milk and mix well. Put a lot of vegetable oil in a frying pan and put on high heat. Dip the seasoned chicken fingers in the milk and egg mixture then cover with corn flakes. Place in frying pan and cook until golden brown. Take the chicken out of the oil and place on paper towels so that it can absorb the excess oil. Serve with steaming white rice or garlic mashed potatoes. Enjoy plain or with gravy .



photo and recipe from Kubiertos

No comments: