Monday, November 17, 2008

it will take 6 weeks to get my new passport

Last month, we went to Indonesia for a much deserved R&R in Bintan and as I went through the usual customs check, the immigrations officer reminded me: "You need to renew your passport already."

And so I was reminded that my passport will expire in April 2009. And since we generally can't travel if one's passport is less than six months valid, I need to renew mine asap.

So last Sunday, I went to the Philippine Embassy here in SG to submit the requirements for my passport renewal.

In my four years (and counting) of staying here, I've only been there for about two or three times, sometime in 2004 and 2005. The first time, I went there because I had to sign up to be a an OWA member (mabuhay ang mga bagong bayani). The second (or third) time was to get my OEC, which would allow travel tax exemption for OFWs (again, mabuhay ang bagong bayani). But since we gained our Permanent Residency status in 2006, there was really no reason to go there anymore.

And in the two years that I didn't go there, nothing much has changed, except that there are more people in line, because of the influx of Pinoys coming to Singapore to work.

It is a bit frustrating to wait while standing up with only a simple roof to cover you from the sun. You see, they make you wait outside, in this garage-type waiting area. Not too bad actually, if you don't mind naman. But it would help if there was a proper waiting area. At least the, errmm, bagong bayanis can see even just a bit of their contribution to the Philippine government. Magkano lang naman ang orocan chairs di ba? Kesa naman nagkakandungan while waiting for so long. Buti na lang, I only had to wait for about an hour and a half in total (uuuy, I've changed--I'm so patient na noh? hehe). But I heard the others were waiting for a longer time pa.




The Philippine Embassy in Singapore looks like a house, IMO, less grander than the other embassies, even if you compare it to the Indonesia and Thai embassies.


Thai Embassy


Indonesian Embassy

Philippine Embassy


The saving grace is that the service level was of reasonable standards and the staff are generally helpful and warm. There seems to be some system in place, which I think is the most important thing anyway.

I'm not writing this para mang-okray. Just to vent out that hopefully, our government can still improve on their services to Pinoys who bring in the dough through their remittances. Even through simple needs like the freakin' Orocan chairs. Don't get me wrong, I do love the Philippines and I haven't lost hope in us, unlike other Pinoys. It's just that sometimes, you can't help but feel frustrated, na even if you're on foreign soil, you still directly feel the incompetence of the government.

It will take six weeks to get my new passport, but one of the friendly staff (konting chikahan upon learing that I work in the Singapore government) said that I can check on the fourth week--maybe it will be ready by then. I just hope I get my new passie in time for my departure on 30th December, otherwise, magwawala talaga ako!!!

No comments: