Thursday, February 26, 2009

when kids have kids

My brother, who I love very very much, turned 14 today. Although he's really getting taller by the day and his voice is starting to have this manly pitch, I still see him as my baby brother. I guess it will always be like that for me. Just like how I feel Biggie will always be my little sister, even if she's not so little anymore.

So when I thought about Alfie, a 13-year old kid who is now the youngest father in the UK, I was like, omfg. What in the world is happening? So he fathered the child when he was, like, 12 years old? (I shall ask my hubby later if it's really possible to be, ermmm what's the word, sexually-able at that age.)

Last time I checked, there are several other boys (a 14-year old and a 16-year old) also claiming that the baby is theirs, but Alfie is still sure that the child is his. He is also assured by the 15-year old mom that the baby is his. I am not sure about the latest developments, though. They will probably have a paternity test or something.

This baby-faced kid is sure lucky to get laid at 12 years old. At least he won't have an "American Pie" dilemma. Okay, I'm saying that just to humour things up. But this is really serious stuff. I mean, is the economy really bad that kids nowadays can't afford to buy a condom? Okay, I'm saying that again just to ermm, humour things up.

But you know what, at least they didn't abort the baby. I think the consequences haven't really dawned on them--Alfie doesn't even know what the word "financially" means (see video). He looks like a freakin' 7-year old kid. At least Alfie and Chontell (who should have known better because she's already 15 years old) have that courage--the source of which may be the mere ignorance of what really lies ahead of them--but it's still courage. Blinded courage, maybe? Ignorant courage, maybe? Is there such a thing?

I guess things are really simple in the eyes of a child. That includes things like having a baby and owning up to it.


1 comment:

Jans said...

hi sis, janice (fr. w@wsg) here..:) major shocking eto noh?.. as in hindi ko malaman ano klase reaction ko when I first learned about this!

anyway, nice blog!:) link kita sa site ko ha, pde?..:) tc!