Sunday, April 6, 2008

c'est la vie

Girl and Guy are both my good friends. Known the girl since highschool, the guy since freshman year in college.


They became a couple during our early college years. I got drunk with them, cut classes with them, rescued them when the need arises (hehe). Most of my fondest memories of my college days included them in the scene.


Because of them, I discovered new friends and new interests.


Mid-way through college, just like 75% of college relationships are bound to, they broke up.


But I remained very good friends with both of them. In fact, I can definitely say they are two of my best friends.


The Guy treats me as a true friend, and not just a friend of his ex-GF. The Girl treats me like her own sister, like a member of her family--I love her and the rest of her family.


They are both my friends in the truest sense of the word. They've seen me in my best and worst times. But on separate occassions, of course, because they never got back together again. Never even see or maybe even bump into each other.


Now they lead separate lives. Miles and miles away from each other. Settled peacefully in each of their own relationships.


Since I'm still close to both of them, they were both present when Jun and I got married. I don't think they exchanged words, except maybe for the usual "Hi" and "Hello". Past is past and all that bull.


Their relationship was just a part of growing up.


As I continue my friendship with both of them, I can't help but be the one to update them about each other's lives (on separate occassions and not within the presence of their respective partners, of course). After all, I was one of those who witnessed the ups and downs of their relationship.  


It was just so natural for me to mention their names whenever I meet up with Guy or when I meet up with Girl. It was as natural as talking about a common friend that we have. They were, after all, my common friends.


I would tell the Guy: "Uuuy alam mo si xxx, lumipat na ng work."


I would tell the Girl: "Uuuy si xxx, may bago nang GF, finally!"


I would tell the Guy: "Uuuy si xxx, papakasal na next month."


I would tell the Girl: "Uuuy si xxx, nag-chat kami kahapon. Magkakababy na rin sha..."


I would update them of each other's lives, not because I want them to get back together. In fact, that's the last thing I want to happen, because I know they're very happy with who they are with right now.


I guess it's just normal for me to do that since I'm both still close to them. And let's admit it,even if we don't care about your exes anymore, there's always that teeny-weeny part of us that wants to know how he's been doing. And I shall satisfy Guy and Girl's curiousity until such time they both tell me to shut the eff up.


This year is a banner year for both of them for this is the year that they will be having their first kid (with their respective partners--just a reminder ule).


I know that Girl will be having a baby girl and Guy will be having a baby boy.


I wonder if this baby boy and baby girl will cross each other's paths when they grow up.


On second thought: Oh yes, I am sure they will. When I celebrate my birthday, and my own children's parties, Guy's and Girl's son and daughter will both be there.


After all, I am Ninang to both of the kids. They will surely be invited to my house and be with my family when we celebrate special occassions.


And if their kids end up liking each other (pardon my super advanced thinking), I wouldn't be surprised. History has a funny, funny way of repeating itself.

No comments: